Friday, March 22, 2013

Hummingbird Sparkly Garden Update

I just realized I had not updated my progress on the Hummingbird project in quite a while. This one is a Chatelaine design, and since it is so large, I rotate stitching it with stitching other, smaller projects. I'm stitching this on 32 count linen from Silkweaver's in "Mississippi Blue." So far, I have completed the center design, the four hummingbirds feeding at four flowers, and part of the border for this section. I still have to do the lacy border and the outside border.
Here is the whole thing:

As you can see, this border is almost complete, I just have to finish the beading, and the Jessica stitches around the edge of the border. The top left corner has the beading complete, this is what the rest will look like as well.

Each of the hummingbirds are stitched one over one, while the rest of the design is two over two. This added a lot of detail to each hummingbird, but was extremely tedious and time-consuming! I think it was worth the effort, though, because they really did turn out beautifully, and they could not have had the same subtle coloring and shading if they were stitched over 2. Here are closeups of each of the hummingbirds. Left side, in bright greens and browns:

Bottom, in purples, pinks and soft greens:


Right side, in deep blues, purples, and pale greens:

And the top hummingbird, in aquas, blues, and greens:
This picture taken on a slant shows the change in texture between the one over one hummingbirds and the larger two over two flowers:




2 comments:

  1. Looks great, Kim! Do you special order your chatelaine mandala fabrics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome, a very beautiful piece of stitching.......
    hugs
    Chris Richards
    xx

    ReplyDelete