Sunday, March 3, 2013

Tree of Stitches

My newest project is Abi Gurden's Tree of Stitches. It's a beautiful design using different specialty stitches to form a tree. I am stitching on 32 count lugana from Picture This Plus in "Spice." I'm using various threads from my stash in blues and greens.

Here is what I have so far:

The tree trunk is just simple cross stitch, and it is done in Crescent Colours "La Tierra."

The first specialty stitch is the Smyrna Cross Stitch in Caron Waterlilies "Celadon."
Next up is my least favorite stitch ever: the French Knot. The pattern has some really good tips on how to make French Knots more even, but it was still difficult to position them all since they are so close together. I think the effect is quite nice, but I still prefer beads to knots! I stitched these in Crescent Colours "Key Largo."
Another stitch I have done before is the Eyelet Stitch, in Thread Gatherer Silk N Colors "Forest of Greens."
Next was the Rice Stitch, in Weeks Dye Works "Lagoon."
The Cushion Stitch is the first stitch I've never tried before, although it seems to be a variation on the Scotch Stitch, which I have done before. This one is stitched in Weeks Dye Works "Peacock." I love the way this stitch really looks like leaves on the tree.
Another new stitch for me is the Jerusalem Stitch. It's basically a Rice Stitch turned diagonally, but it has a much different look. I stitched this one in Thread Gatherer Silk N Colors "Mermaid Shimmer."
Next up is the Floral Stitch, which is basically a simple cross stitch surrounded by satin stitches. I stitched the petals in Thread Gatherer Silk N Colors "English Meadow," which is a beautifully variegated silk that flows from green and blue to pink and purple. I did the centers of the flowers in Crescent Colours "Cobbled Peach."
Last up for now is the Norwich Stitch, in Weeks Dye Works "Emerald." I really like the texture of this stitch.


No comments:

Post a Comment